Halfway between Tokyo and Nagoya, on the road to Kyoto, the city of Shizuoka is an important economic center and known as the “spiritual center of Japan”. The city is also renowned for the beautiful views of mount Fuji and for its green tea production, which is appreciated all over the world.
Shizuoka boasts stunning natural assets and resources, with a UNESCO World Heritage site (mount Fuji) , beautiful waterfalls, hiking trails, and lush cedar forests which abound with exotic wildlife species.
Its uniqueness is illustrated by the Edo spirit and culture which are reflected in local traditions (production of sake, green tea fields and onsen hot springs).
Shizuoka’s core assets include:
- An easy access from Tokyo with the Japan Rail Pass
- A natural environment and unspoiled nature
- A heaven for outdoor activities: hiking, trekking, cycling
- A unique historical & cultural heritage with many temples and shrines, hot springs (onsen)
- An attractive destination for spiritual and off-the-beaten-path destinations seekers
Shizuoka Prefecture is getting ready to shine under the spotlight as one of the hosting venues for the 2019 Rugby World Cup at Ecopa Stadium and the 2020 Summer Olympics at Izu Velodrome.